Chi chapter of Delta Gamma was instituted at Cornell University on March 7, 1885 by eight women. They were the third sorority established at Cornell. Kappa Alpha Theta and Kappa Kappa Gamma already existed. And then, one month later, they wrote this to the Anchora; “The great University moves on as ever, undisturbed by eight girls who have grown to the greatness of Delta gamma.” And that sentence may characterize Chi’s first century. In 1893, Chi was the first group to leave Sage dormitory for women and establish a house of their own.
The high standards maintained by Chi chapter in the selection of its membership are reflected by the large number of alumnae who have attained prominence. Many alumnae have continued their interest in the fraternity through their activity on local, province, national and international levels. Ithaca has been the site of several Delta Gamma meetings. The tenth national convention of the fraternity in 1897 was held there and representatives of thirteen active chapters were present.
From the beginning Chi chapter has taken pride in its women of achievement; Elsie Singmaster, short story writer of considerable repute; Bertha Stoneman, a pioneer for education for women at Hugenot College in South Africa; Carlotta Maury, curator of the museum of paleontology at Columbia and later served on an early geological survey team. Chi member, Florence Cornell Bingham served on Delta Gamma Council for 15 years, 7 as President. During the time she was President of Delta Gamma she was also National President of the PTA and when the United Nations was organized in 1945, she was a delegate to that conference in San Francisco.
The endeavors of chapter members continues but perhaps that which they can be most proud is being known as “the friendliest group on the Hill”.
Delta Gamma was founded by Anna Boyd Ellington, Eva Webb Dodd and Mary Comfort Leonard in 1873 in Oxford, Mississippi, at the Lewis School for Girls near the University of Mississippi. The Founders sought to maintain high ideals and standards and to encourage intellectual growth and service in order to exemplify college women at their best.
George Banta, Phi Delta Theta, accorded membership in order to carry out expansion in the North. First northern chapter, Phi Alpha-Franklin College, established by George Banta in Indiana.
Today Delta Gamma is an international women’s fraternity that continues to place a strong dedication on personal values and standards, academic excellence, leadership and service. Delta Gamma encourages each member to strive for excellence and offers the programming and support to help each member reach that commitment. Delta Gamma offers its members the experience of sharing the strong bonds of sisterhood for a lifetime.